In Mach 25, 1992, in response to the 1990 World Synod of Bishops, Blessed John Paul II wrote a post-synodal Apostolic Exhortation entitled “I Will Give You Shepherds” (Pastores Dabo Vobis). There, the Holy Father wrote, “The formation of future priests … is considered by the Church one of the most demanding and important tasks for the future evangelization of humanity.”
In addition, in June 2005 the United States Catholic Bishops released the fifth edition of the Program for Priestly Formation, the governing document providing norms and guidelines for how seminaries should form men for the priesthood. While the first edition of the Program for Priestly Formation was released in 1971, the US Bishops have conscientiously updated the PPF at key seasons within the US Church. In 2005, the US Bishops released the fifth and most current edition. There, the US Bishops state, “The whole Church receives the gift of vocations from God and is responsible for promoting and discerning vocations. The entire Church is to be engaged in the pastoral work of promoting vocations. It is integral to the mission of the Church ‘to care for the birth, discernment, and fostering of vocations, particularly those to the priesthood.’”
Heeding the call that we are all called to are for the “most demanding and important tasks for the future evangelization of humanity,” the Institute for Priestly Formation welcomes your help in four important ways:
- You can help us spiritually.
- You can help us physically.
- You can help us financially.
- You can join our family.
You can help us spiritually.
- Any work of God is dependent upon God. Since our humble beginnings in 1995, the Institute for Priestly Formation has always aimed to do “whatever He tells us” (John 2:5). If you would like to learn more about you can pray for the ministry of IPF, please call us at 402.546.6384 or 1.888.528.5668.
- Each year hundreds of moms and dads join IPF in our ministry to hundreds of seminarians and priests. If you are a mom and would like to learn more about our spiritual moms program click here. If you are a dad and would like to learn more about our spiritual dads program click here.
You can help us physically.
- There is an African parable that says, “It takes a whole village to raise a child.” Many of us know this to be true! What’s true for one child is even more true for hundreds of priests and seminarians – we need your help. If you would like to learn more about how you can volunteer your time or talent, please call us at 402.546.6384 or 1.888.528.5668.
You can help us financially.
- While the Institute is grateful for an anointed relationship with the Archdiocese of Omaha and Creighton University, we are a completely independent non-profit ministry. We need your help. Your future priests need your help. Whether it’s $20 a month or a gift more generous, we can help find a giving level that fits for your budget. Click here to find out more information.
You can join our family.
The Institute for Priestly Formation has an officially recognized status within the universal Church. As a Public Association of the Faithful, IPF has the privilege of welcoming people just like you into our family. Click here if you would like to learn more about how you can become a “member” of our family.