Home ➥ Programs ➥ Spiritual Direction Training Program ➥ FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where does the IPF Spiritual Direction Training Program take place?
University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary near Chicago, Illinois.
- Who is eligible to apply?
- Since a key component of the mission of IPF is the training of priests involved in spiritual formation of diocesan seminarians and priests, we will give first preference, as we did in the previous rounds, to applicants for the program who are connected in some way with priestly formation: vocation directors, adjunct and full-time spiritual directors for seminaries and candidates, seminary formators, etc. If you are involved in priestly formation, please indicate that clearly on your application. We also welcome those not involved with priestly formation as space allows.
- What are the requirements for the IPF Spiritual Direction Training Program?
- • Attendance at each weeklong program session.
• Completion of readings.
• Completion of all practicum requirements. These include verbatims during Years II and III on spiritual direction sessions with two people; a project focusing on teaching prayer in the parish setting; and journal reflections on pastoral ministry experiences. Further clarifications will be provided as the program begins.
• The priest must also receive regular (usually monthly) spiritual direction throughout the training program and intend to continue this monthly spiritual direction.
- What are the dates for the IPF Spiritual Direction Training Program?
- Dates for the 2017-2020 Spiritual Direction Training Program can be found on this page.
- Is it possible to switch between sections if one week doesn't work in my schedule?
- Because of the housing situation and the assignment of spiritual directors, it is not possible for you to switch between one section and the other.
- How much does the IPF Spiritual Direction Training Program cost?
- The cost for the program is $2,275 for EACH YEAR ($6,825 for the full program). Invoices will be sent in the spring before the beginning of each new year; all payment is due by September 1 of each year.
- What are the requirements for the letter of recommendation from the bishop?
A letter of recommendation from your bishop is also required and can be mailed, e-mailed or faxed to IPF. This brief letter should state that your bishop recommends you for IPF's Spiritual Direction Training Program and that you are a priest in good standing. Your application will be complete once this letter is received. If your Diocese is sending more than one priest, your bishop can write one letter and include the names of each participant.
- Should I get accepted to the program when am I required to arrive at Mundelein Seminary and when can I leave?
- • The opening session begins, Sunday at 7:30 pm.
• A light pick up dinner is served between 5:00 and 7:15 pm.
• The program concludes by 11:00 am on Friday morning.
• Transportation to O’Hare Airport (ORD) is about 45 minutes to an hour.
• Transportation from Midway Airport (MDW) takes about an hour and a half.
- When are the applications due?
- There are a limited number of spaces remaining. Please contact our office to begin submitting an application as soon as possible.
- When will I be notified about my application status?
- Once your application has been received, you will be notified about your application status in a timely manner.